With the rapid advancement in technology, there are advanced security solutions. These days, you don’t need to install separate cameras for surveillance. Distinct cameras raised the issue of being easily noticeable. Therefore, manufacturers came up with feasible solutions for a light bulb with hidden cameras.
Can light bulbs have cameras in them? Let’s discuss it in detail. In this article, you can also find ways to spot a hidden camera to save yourself from the malicious intents of others.
Can Light Bulbs Have Cameras in Them?
Yes, light bulbs can have cameras in them. Such light bulbs having cameras in them are called ‘light bulb security cameras’. These light bulbs are extensively used for surveillance in ATMs, elevators, and malls. The main reason for using light bulbs with cameras is that they work well in dimly lit or even dark conditions.
Features to Consider While Using Light Bulbs Security Cameras
With a variety of options available in the market, it is very important to consider some factors before buying a security camera fitted inside a light bulb. Here are some features to look for.
- Type of View – You cannot always change the position of the camera to cover the footage of every nook and cranny in all directions. Therefore, a camera that offers panoramic views is extremely good to go for.
- Storage and Detection – Cameras having SD cards for video storage are preferable. Also, motion detection is a remarkable feature to consider while buying light bulb security cameras.
- Microphones – The ability to communicate while watching is a great feature that comes in handy.
- Night Vision – Night vision is necessary to make the best use of the camera even in low light or dark conditions.
- Remote Control – Remotely controlling the light is an important feature to look for while buying a light bulb security camera. It is because you cannot always climb to dim or brighten the light of your security camera.
How to Install A Light Bulb Security Camera?
One of the prerequisites for installing a light bulb camera is a good Wi-Fi connection in the surroundings. When you have ensured a proper Internet connection, start the installation process by following a set of simple steps given below.
- Before actually beginning to work with the power sockets, make sure that the power supply to these sockets is OFF as it may cause shocks.
- If there is a bulb already there in the socket, remove it by letting it cool off completely. Once it cools down, turn the bulb in the counterclockwise direction to make it loose. Gently pull the bulb out once it becomes completely loose from the socket.
- Keep the old bulb in a safe location, like the box of your new bulb. It is extremely important to handle electrical components with utmost care as they can cause severe hazards.
- Take the new bulb and turn it clockwise in the socket to tighten the screws of the bulb inside the socket. Rotate it just enough to fit snugly inside the socket.
- Turn ON the power to the bulb to see if it works or not. An LED flash is usually indicative of the power being supplied to the camera or the camera connected to a Wi-Fi signal.
Setting Up A New Security Camera Over Wi-Fi
When you use a light bulb security camera, it is not the end of the process when the bulb is fitted into the socket. To put the light bulb camera to full use, you need to set up the camera on your phone or laptop. Here’s how to set up a new security camera over a Wi-Fi signal.
- Open the Wi-Fi settings on your device with the Wi-Fi connectivity and scan for the available devices.
- Once you see the light bulb camera in the list of available devices, connect to it.
- If you don’t see it in the list, turn OFF the power supply to the light bulb security camera and let it off for 10-15 seconds. In most of the models, doing this will reset the camera.
- Turn the supply ON again and check for the camera to appear in the list of available devices. Connect to it and you will be directed to the browser for setting up the camera. Create an account and register your device to complete the setup process.
- In the latest models, there are specific applications tailored for using light bulb cameras. In this case, you can simply download the app and set up the camera to get started.
How to Tell If A Light Bulb Has A Camera?
Light bulb cameras were initially manufactured for surveillance and security. But the technology of light bulb security cameras has been manipulated for selfish reasons. Therefore, it becomes supremely important to know some methods to spot hidden cameras.
With the latest technologies, hidden cameras are very difficult to get noticed even if they are kept in the main area. So, how can you find these hidden cameras? Here are some ways.
- Check for IR signals – Many hidden cameras are equipped with LED light bulbs that emit a reddish glow in dark conditions. You can spot this reddish glow to see if there is a hidden camera. Also, your phone’s camera starts glowing in a purple color because of active infrared radiation.
- Notice electronic beeping sounds – Many phones create a crackling sound in proximity to the electromagnetic field generated by hidden cameras. You can move your phone around to notice any such glitching sounds to spot hidden cameras.
- Find lens reflections – There are smartphones and special hidden camera-detecting devices. You can find a hidden camera by turning your phone’s flash ON to look for light reflecting from the camera’s lens. This method works great even with the most smartly placed cameras.
- Check for radio waves – Wireless cameras work using radio signals which can be spotted by dedicated devices tailored for detecting the presence of hidden cameras.
Light bulbs can have cameras in them and are ussualy used for security reasons. They are most commonly used in ATMs, elevators, and malls. Some people use security light bulbs in their home allowing them to monitor their house when they are away.